Some people have been saying Skyfall is better than Casino Royale. This is silly talk. Skyfall, for all its virtues, has a plot that is pretty loose and ad-hoc. The screenwriters seem to have just decided that anything goes, which is odd, especially for a spy thriller, where the plot generally is pretty important.
Skyfall leaves a lot of basic questions unanswered…
1. Why would an assassin use depleted uranium bullets if they can be so easily traced back to him? If these bullets are so rare and valuable, why waste them firing at a bulletproof digger’s claw?
2. How did James Bond survive his fall from the bridge? Seriously, he was unconscious in a river in the middle of the wilderness? Did he get rescued? By who? Did he just wake up and climb out and walk back to Istanbul? He was shot twice, once with a “depleted uranium” bullet, once with a high-powered sniper rifle. You’d think he would have suffered some severe blood loss.
3. How did Silva blow up MI6? Seriously, how?
4. If the CIA was tracking the assassinPatrice for the murder of some guy in Yemen, why is it that the only guy waiting for him when he steps off the plane is a British agent? Why not send a team of agents with tasers to take him down so they could interrogate him?
5. Who exactly is Severine and what is her relationship to Silva? Whose boat is it that Bond gets onto, and why does he feel like it’s safe to just stroll onto the deck (in the scene where he gets captured)? did he plan to get captured? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to hide on the boat and then sneak out when no one was around?
5a. Maybe Bond got on the boat because he was pretending to be Patrice and he didn’t think the baddies knew who he was? If that’s the case, why did the three asians in the club try to murder him? Didn’t that show they knew he was up to no good? Come to think of it, why did they try to murder him? For all they knew he was a customer trying to bed the prostitute Severine, right?
6. Why did Silva not check to see if Bond had a radio before letting him on the island?
7. If all SIlva wanted to do was kill M, why didn’t he just try the whole stolen police uniform plan at the beginning of the movie? Why bother with the whole stolen list of agents?
8. Why did Bond take M to Scotland of all places? Why not a secure bunker somewhere?
9. Why not bring an army of agents to Skyfall Manor to wait for Silva, instead of just one man? Why didn’t Silva just use the helicopter first instead of sending in a bunch of mooks to die?
10. Why didn’t Silva just shoot Bond when he was on the ice?
11. Why did Silva’s henchman walk up to Bond on the ice? Did he want to get grabbed? It’s possible to hold someone hostage with a gun without actually being close enough to touch them; guns are projectile weapons.
12. What exactly happened to the list of agents? Did they ever get it back? That was the point of the movie, right?
The real question is who made more stupid mistakes in this movie: Silva and his gang, or Bond and MI6?